Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 3.

1.  Every month I try and take part in Fat Mum Slim's photo a day challenge.  Today she asked for people to submit charities that she could pair a challenge to each month.  I suggested to her that she use White Balloon Day which is a annual event held during Child Protection Week to raise awareness about child sexual assault and help empower survivors to break their silence. 

I am grateful that I am in a place in my life where I am now able to talk openly about being sexually abused when I was younger.  I wasn't able to talk about it for about 10 years and i know it has shaped so much of me and my personality.  More importantly it has made me aware, so aware, that sexual abuse can happen to everyone - boys, girls, young, old by friends, family, parents, uncles (in my case). 

I really think it's important for me to talk about it at every opportunity, not just to help me heal but to try and help change the stigma of it being "something that isn't spoken about". 

2. For having friends I can call to help me when I'm not feeling well. I reached out to my dear friend Jemma last night that I was struggling with being sick and trying to entertain Thom.  She came and took Thom out for a few hours tonight and wore him out and fed him and me dinner.  I feel blessed to have such beautiful friends in my life.

3. For my dishwasher.  Sad, but true.





1 comment: